This panel can be found in ‘The Woodway Room’ at Chudleigh Town Hall. This section of the Town Hall is a separate building that was once a Congregational church from 1710 to 1992.
A place of worship had likely existed on or near this site since 1662 and can therefore claim to be the oldest established non-conformist meeting-place in Chudleigh. This building dates from a rebuilding of 1830, replacing an earlier chapel of 1710. On 22 May 1807 the chapel at the junction of what were then called Wood Way and Exeter Way suffered during the Great Fire of Chudleigh but not to the extent one might expect, being as it was surrounded by many cottages that were almost completely ruined. It was not the outside fabric of the building that suffered, but the interior, which appears to have been more or less gutted or at least severely scorched.
Nationally, in 1972 the Congregationalists had merged with the Presbyterians and together formed the United Reformed Church. The local worshippers were not particularly happy with the merger and this probably brought about the closure of the Chapel. The property also needed repairs but there was no money for the upkeep. By 1992 all worship had ceased and the United Reformed Church offered the chapel and associated rooms for sale.