The Square, Chudleigh
Click images to view full size
Heritage photos of Chudleigh courtesy of Alan Brunton (Chudleigh History Group) & Doug Hellier-Laing.
At the centre of the town of Chudleigh at the junction of New Exeter Street (formerly known as Culver Lane), Old Exeter Street (Exeter Way), Clifford Street (Mill Lane) and Fore Street in the open space called The Square stands an obelisk of granite. Its site is roughly that of the original market place and its market house which was destroyed on 22 May 1807 in what subsequently became referred to as ‘The Great Fire of Chudleigh’. A market cross also stood close this was subsequently lost and no record survives to reveal its fate following the fire.